The Accessibility options have been moved in Mavericks to the Security & Privacy section of the system preferences. This might seem less intuitively located than before, but due to the way you enable and disable apps, it starts to make sense to group it into the Security/Privacy pile.

Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 6.43.33 PM

One thing that took me quite a while to discover was that because some apps fail to auto-register themselves here when they request permission (Steam apps are all good examples), it’s not obvious how to manually insert an entry.

Lucky for you, it’s as easy as dragging your app into the list.

1. Open Finder and locate your app (or if it’s currently in your dock, you can Cmd-click it to reveal its location in a new Finder window)
  2. Drag the app from a Finder tab to the list.

You’re done. Tada.

Safe adventures to you, traveller.

Tagged with:

6 Responses to OS X Mavericks: Enable Assistive Devices

1. Doccus says:

Glad to have found your blog.. As I am also a mac user (for the last 12 years),I have seen how things have changed recently. Lately I’m always looking for CLI commands and other tricks and other methods to get back basic functionality that you would expect on any modern OS.. like you always had to do with pre-21st century (pre-Ubuntu) Linux, except , of course that it’s not Linux, but post-Jobs Apple.
    Found some interesting solutions here that I doubt would be simple to find on a dumbed down google search.. ;-)
    THX!

2. Kooroo says:

How did you add osascript and bash in that list? I could not drag and drop those from /usr/bin…

• Tim says:

It seems that the first time an application requests assistive access, it’ll appear in the list, albeit disabled. The notable exception was the Steam issue, where nothing would ever appear, disabled or not.

bash and osascript happened as a side effect of me using certain Textmate commands that interact with my Terminal and browser. The standard warning would appear in the middle of using those commands, but it was bash and osascript that was technically requesting access due to the scripts executing on their own.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure what the direct method of adding those apps is.

• Harold says:

I’m trying to figure out how to get /usr/bin/osascript in there as well, without any luck so far. I’ve tried running Applescript from TextMate, but only the TextMate app gets added automatically.

Do you have an example (stripped down maybe) of the code you were running? Perhaps a certain scenario will do the trick.

• Harold says:

Turns out the access is stored in an SQLite database. I’m trying to add the right values to it, but even though osascript does show up now in System Preferences, the error still remains.

If possible, could you run the following commands in your terminal?

It displays a list of all the allowed applications. There should be a line for “osascript”, and perhaps your settings can work on other systems as well.

1. this one is for the System Library:

sudo sqlite3 /Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db “SELECT * FROM access”

2. and for the user’s Library:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db “SELECT * FROM access”

Adding /usr/bin/osascript to the user Library didn’t do anything for me, but it showed up after adding it to the System Library. However I think the rest of the settings aren’t correct here yet.

More information about the table, and where I found it: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17693408/enable-access-for-assistive-devices-programmatically-on-10-9

The “SELECT * FROM access” changes nothing in your system whatsoever, it only displays a list of what’s in the SQLite database.

• Tim says:

Sorry for the delayed reply. Interestingly, osascript is not even listed using this query on the database file. As in the stackoverflow answer you reference, I think there are only the two db locations, so I’m not sure where else to look. Any insights since you made your comment?